Total Pageviews

Friday, June 22, 2012

5K Training - Week 1, Run 1

Well, today I bit the bullet and began my training for the 5K. I'm using an app on my iPhone called Get Running.  It's essentially one of those couch to 5K programs, which is exactly what I need. I really am a couch potato, so this couch to 5K business is perfect. I've had this app on my phone for about a week now, but today was my first run. The past couple of days have been excruciatingly hot and muggy (hot enough for a car to break down! Mr. Mazda is home and recovering well, by the way!), so I didn't want to start my runs then. Today was much nicer, so at 8pm this evening, I began my journey.

I turned on my app and my iPhone told me to warm up by walking briskly for 5 minutes. Easy. As I was walking it, I realized 5 minutes is a lot longer than I thought! Not that I was tired, I'm not that out of shape! I just covered more distance than I expected. After that, it told me when to run and when to walk. The first run consisted of running for 1 minute, walking for 1 1/2 minutes, eight times. 

The first 4 runs were simple. I chuckled to myself while running, thinking this was way too easy, and that maybe I should be starting further along. However, the runs did get a bit harder as my legs got more sore after those first 4, but thankfully they were nothing unbearable. Overall, I feel really good about my run! My quads are a bit sore now, and I know they will be MUCH more sore tomorrow, but for now, I'm in the mind set that I can totally do this! 
Me after Week 1, Run 1. LET'S DO THIS!
 After I got home from my run, I took a nice cold shower. After I got out, I Googled cold showers after a run and found out that they're actually beneficial (I was worried I might make my muscles more sore by doing so, but apparently not!). I then celebrated with a bowl of PC Chocolate Crackle ice cream. One thing at a time, okay? :)

5 comments:

  1. Yuuuuummmm ...!!!
    You look awesome!! Your mindset is very motivating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! That is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Christina!! You CAN do it! BTW, it's Julie, not "Anonymous", lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good job Christina. So happy you are joining me for the 5k!! It will be a lot of fun. You're motivating me to do more....stephane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations. That is how I started 15 years ago....I loved it so much I kept going and did six Marathons....another runner in the family....I love it!!!! Yvonne

    ReplyDelete