Total Pageviews

Friday, June 29, 2012

5K Training - Week 2, Run 1

After the allotted 2 days off of running that my phone gave me, Week 2 arrived today and I was to get back at it! I was feeling a bit adventurous, and decided to go for a morning run. I admit, I also just wanted to get it over with for the day ;) I had already made up my mind, even after I saw that the weather was already feeling like 32 with the humidity. So at about 9:30, I was off.

This week's runs are a little tougher. I started out with a 5 minute warm-up walk, then it was 1 1/2 minutes of running followed by 2 minutes of walking, repeated 6 times. Finally, it finishes with a 5 minute cool-down walk.

I started out and it was hot out! The past 3 times I've run, it's been evening or a cool(ish) afternoon, so not only was I doing longer stretches of running, the heat was also a challenge. My first run went well - I kept my breathing regulated and focused on that. I wasn't very tired by the end of it, and felt like I could start running again before the 2 minutes were up. I didn't, though, as I figure the program is designed this way for a reason. By about the 3rd run, it was getting more difficult, and the humidity didn't help. I stayed focused on my breathing, and made it through. By this time, 2 minutes was just about perfect for walking in between runs! My final run was the most difficult. I was sweating and hot, and I kept it easy with a slower pace, keeping in control of my breathing as much as possible. I made it! I didn't walk until I was supposed to. That's a win for me!

I admit, towards the end I was starting to have negative thoughts, thinking, "How am I going to be able to run for 30 minutes without stopping? This is hard!" but I caught myself and just starting thinking, "I CAN do this. I'm doing this now. It will get easier." I also focused on my reward when I got home: A nice, long, refreshing cold shower (that is the BEST reward for me! Until I have a pool, that is!), followed by an iced coffee made from my Keurig.

And perfect timing, when I got home, my delivery from Keurig.com was waiting for me. I had ordered some more coffee and a tumbler specifically for iced coffee! So I'm sitting here, enjoying a French vanilla iced coffee and watching Who's the Boss? I'm cool like that.

Me after Week 2, Run 1. Good thing my sunglasses are on, I was beat!
Not my favourite picture of myself, but it's got Mr. Mazda in the background! :D

1 comment:

  1. I admire you, I wouldn't have been able to run in that heat this morning!! You're tough! :) I was out playing ball and walking with the kids and I can't believe how much I sweat (eewwww lol)

    ReplyDelete