Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 1, 2012

5K Training - Week 2, Run 2 (Night Run!)

Happy Canada Day! I'll talk more about my long weekend in another post, but I thought I'd write a quick update on today's run. Today I went for my first night run! We only got home from being out at 9:30, and I was due for my run and wanted to stay on schedule, so I got into my running gear and set out at 9:50.

Once again, it was a 5 minute warm up, followed by 6 repetitions of 1 1/2 of running, 2 minutes of walking. It finishes with a 5 minute cool down walk.

I don't know why, perhaps it was the not-so-running-friendly food I'd eaten all day, but I started out my first run not really into it, feeling tired and not very much like running. As I started my second of six runs, I passed a big group of hoodlums. That's right, hoodlums. They were shooting off firecrackers, and they were firing them off sideways. Needless to say, they fired one off in my general direction, and I saw it fly by me, not too close, but it certainly didn't feel accidental, as they were laughing afterwards. Thankfully that was the only incident, but it was a little scary while running alone in the dark.

After that, I got into a zone while running. With all the sounds of firecrackers and fireworks (the pops, bangs, and squeals), I found it entertaining to imagine myself in a battlefield! Fitting since the run I'll be doing in September is the Army Run ;) I even got to see some fireworks as I ran. It was kind of nice overall, minus the one firecracker incident.

I also saw a firefly and a bunny on my run! :)

My last two runs I pushed myself harder than the first 4. Especially during my last run, I really widened my stride, trying to cover as much distance as possible. I didn't last too long with the long strides, but I think from now on I'm going to start each run with running that way for as long as possible. I'm sure it will help improve my time in the end.

No picture today, it was too dark to get a decent one on my iPhone!

1 comment:

  1. You're so brave, I'd be pooping in my pants .. I'm such a scaredey cat. I hate the dark and the wackos in it!

    ReplyDelete