Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

5K Training - Week 6, Run 2

This is it. Monday, which was my second run of week 6, was the very last of my training runs that was in intervals. (Yes, I peeked ahead to see what was in store for me!). From here on out, all of my runs will now be solid blocks of running, working up from 25 minutes to 30 by Week 9.

Yesterday's run was two 10 minute runs with a 3 minute walk in between, all sandwiched between a 5 minute warm-up walk and a 5 minute cool-down walk.

I had also decided to try running to the music I have on my iPhone, thinking it might help. I'm not sure if it's because I've run for 6 weeks without music, but I found it more difficult to concentrate on my breathing, which really helps me to zone out and not think about how long I've been running and how long I've got left. It was nice listening to music, but I'm not sure if I'll continue to do so. Also, the most recent music on my iPhone is from at least 5 years ago, which doesn't mean it's bad, but I kind of wanted to listen to some newer stuff, too! And another problem is that I don't have headphones! Ear buds do NOT stay in my ears, so running with them is pointless. I can't even sit with them staying in there. So I also spent my run blocking the speakers on my iPhone every time I passed someone so they wouldn't think I was weird for playing my music out loud :P

The run itself wasn't too tough, except for the fact that it was pretty humid last night, which definitely made for a hotter, slower run. But I pushed through and I think I made better time than my last 20 minute run, but it's hard to tell with the added 3 minute walk in between. It will be easier to keep track of my speed in the coming runs.

1 comment:

  1. That's funny that you can't get earbuds to stay in your ears, lol! I love running with music, and I find it harder when I don't, which is usually either if I'm running with the kids and want to make sure I can hear them, or if my ipod runs out of charge halfway through...

    Good job on the run!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete